EAST VILLAGE – A heartbreaking update to the Tompkins Square Park red-tailed hawk who was rescued by Urban Park Rangers on July 25: WINORR reports that he passed away early this morning from the ravages of rodenticide poisoning.
From their Facebook post:
At 5:30 this morning I went to feed and medicate the Tompkins square park youngest only to find he had passed away between 3 am an 5:30 a.m. this is so gut wrenching. I’ve put all my efforts and energy into trying to fix the selfishness and ignorance of the human race. this beautiful young soul will never sore high up in the clouds bringing the caring people joy and happiness of watching his magnificence. He never got the chance to live his life. Instead he suffered a horrible death. How hard is it to clean up after yourselves and take pride in our planet and all that live in it???
Last Wednesday, NYC Urban Park Rangers took the sick hawklet from Tompkins Square Park.
Early testing showed anemia and exposure to rodenticide. The hawk was in the care of the Wildlife in Need of Rescue and Rehabilitation Inc. (WINORR) the past few days.
Secondary poisoning happens when one animal (like a rat) eats poison, then the predator who eats the prey animal dies from the poison. Our hawk likely ingested rodenticide from a poisoned rat or mouse that was brought into the park by its parents. Tompkins Square Park does not use rodenticide, but the surrounding area is full of it.